Electrical fault at rest-home sparks callout

PHOTO: LINDA ROBERTSON
PHOTO: LINDA ROBERTSON
Six fire appliances, an electrician and Delta personnel were called to an aged residential care facility in the Dunedin suburb of Kew on Saturday night.

A Fire and Emergency New Zealand spokesman said emergency services were alerted to the smell of "electrical burning" about 7.30pm at St Andrew's Home and Hospital, in Easther Cres.

"A search of the ceiling cavity found an electrical fault and slight burning to a timber stud.

"It was extinguished and an electrician was brought in."

No-one was injured in the incident, he said. 

Add a Comment

 

Advertisement

postanote_header_620_x_80.png

postanote_620_x_25.jpg

Our journalists are your neighbours

We are the South's eyes and ears in crucial council meetings, at court hearings, on the sidelines of sporting events and on the frontline of breaking news.

As our region faces uncharted waters in the wake of a global pandemic, Otago Daily Times continues to bring you local stories that matter.

We employ local journalists and photographers to tell your stories, as other outlets cut local coverage in favour of stories told out of Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch.

You can help us continue to bring you local news you can trust by becoming a supporter.

Become a Supporter