Frederick St closed for work near George St

PHOTO: GERARD O’BRIEN
PHOTO: GERARD O’BRIEN
Work has begun in Frederick St, Dunedin, as part of an upgrade in the central city.

It had been due to start on Tuesday, but minor changes were made to make things smoother for businesses in the area, Dunedin City Council city plan project director Dr Glen Hazelton said.

City buses had also been rerouted from Tuesday. "Having the bus detour in place a few days before work started meant we could address any issues and adapt the traffic management as required," Dr Hazelton said.

Sections of London, Filleul and Frederick Sts are to remain closed until April, unless the work is completed sooner.

"The full closure allows us to complete the work more quickly, which was the approach most businesses favoured," Dr Hazelton said.

Once surveying is complete, excavation will begin. Contractors will replace pipes and then replace kerb and channelling, and reinstate roads and footpaths. The overall central city upgrade, including a makeover of George St, is due to be completed in 2024.

Add a Comment

 

drivesouth-pow-classic-2.png

Our journalists are your neighbours

We are the South's eyes and ears in crucial council meetings, at court hearings, on the sidelines of sporting events and on the frontline of breaking news.

As our region faces uncharted waters in the wake of a global pandemic, Otago Daily Times continues to bring you local stories that matter.

We employ local journalists and photographers to tell your stories, as other outlets cut local coverage in favour of stories told out of Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch.

You can help us continue to bring you local news you can trust by becoming a supporter.

Become a Supporter