Mondelez assures charities of funding

Jaffas bound and skip down Baldwin St during the 2017 Cadbury Jaffa Race. Photo: Gregor Richardson.
Jaffas bound and skip down Baldwin St during the 2017 Cadbury Jaffa Race. Photo: Gregor Richardson.
The Cadbury Chocolate Carnival might be over for Dunedin, but three charities that have  benefited from the event each year have been assured they will receive their expected funding — even without the carnival.

The multimillion-dollar event has been held 18 times, a highlight being the Jaffa race down Baldwin St.

But since Cadbury owner Mondelez International decided to close the Dunedin factory with the loss of 320 jobs, uncertainty has surrounded the future of local Cadbury events and sponsorships.

Cadbury has sponsored the annual Dunedin Marathon since 1988, but it is understood that sponsorship has ended.

And last week’s announcement that the Dunedin Hospital rebuild would incorporate the Cadbury site resulted in Mondelez immediately ending tours of Cadbury World, the company’s only remaining operation on the inner-city site.

A "closed" sign went up on the door the same day. A decision on whether the Cadbury World cafe and shop will reopen is expected some time next week, after consultation with the staff.

But a check with Make-A-Wish Foundation, one of three charities supported by the annual chocolate carnival, revealed Mondelez had contacted it to reassure it before the hospital rebuild announcement was made last Friday.

Make-A-Wish chief executive Pam Elgar, of Auckland, said yesterday the foundation had "a very good relationship" with Mondelez.

"They contacted us to let us know the situation in Dunedin might affect the Jaffa race, and they wanted to make sure we didn’t panic when we heard the news.

"They told us not to be concerned about this year’s funding, that they had made a commitment," Ms Elgar said.

She understood all three charities involved had been informed of the situation. Late yesterday, the ODT had not heard back from the southern regional manager of Surf Life Saving New Zealand and had not been able to contact a spokesman for Parents Centre New Zealand.

In an emailed reply to questions from the Otago Daily Times, Cadbury’s Dunedin site manager Judith Mair said although the closure of Cadbury World meant the Cadbury World team had been affected, the company was "now working through consultation with them to inform the business’ decision about the future of the Winter Events programme".

Consultation was expected to finish some time next week, when the company would have " a clearer view on whether or not the events will go ahead".

"Even if the events are cancelled, Mondelez International will ensure the charity partners receive the same financial contribution they were expecting from the events," Ms Mair said.

Add a Comment

 

Advertisement

Our journalists are your neighbours

We are the South's eyes and ears in crucial council meetings, at court hearings, on the sidelines of sporting events and on the frontline of breaking news.

As our region faces uncharted waters in the wake of a global pandemic, Otago Daily Times continues to bring you local stories that matter.

We employ local journalists and photographers to tell your stories, as other outlets cut local coverage in favour of stories told out of Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch.

You can help us continue to bring you local news you can trust by becoming a supporter.

Become a Supporter