You are not permitted to download, save or email this image. Visit image gallery to purchase the image.
About 15 Otago Regional Council bus services have been cancelled tonight, due to drivers calling in sick.
The news comes after a slew of services were cancelled this morning.
Otago Regional Council transport implementation lead Julian Phillips this evening said bus services were experiencing ‘‘a few more cancellations than normal’’, affecting routes 61 (Kenmure) and 8 (St Clair Normanby).
‘‘The transport operators are doing their best to cover the trips and keep the alerts up to date.’’
He advised passengers to keep an eye on the Otago Regional Council website and the Transit App for the latest updates.
‘‘Otago Regional Council thanks passengers for their patience with our drivers. We wish the drivers well in their recovery.’’
It was not yet known if the illnesses would affect bus services tomorrow morning.
Today's disruptions come after similar staffing issues due to driver illness last week.
On Friday more than 50 alerts were sent out notifying people of cancelled services in Dunedin.
Council transport manager Doug Rodgers said bus services would continue to be affected over the next few days as a significant proportion of drivers were ill.
Operators were working in challenging circumstances to maintain as many services as possible, but more services would have to be cancelled.
"We understand how this will impact our passengers and we are truly sorry," he said.