Age is no barrier for a cohort of dedicated tennis players preparing for a major southern tournament in Dunedin.

The Super Seniors 55+ Tennis Tournament will bring teams from across the South Island to the Edgar Centre from Friday August 28 to Sunday August 30.

Competitors up to their mid-70s will take part in the inclusive draw.

Dunedin resident Ian Moore, 82, said the 55+ competition was originally started in 2003 by Ian Jones, of Christchurch, to give older athletes a dedicated event.

When Jones died in 2016, Moore helped keep the tournament running.

Different provinces now take turns hosting the winter fixture at the Edgar Centre to guarantee indoor play regardless of the weather.

Tennis player Ian Moore warms up with Denise Colston at the Edgar Centre. Photo: Sam Henderson

Moore has been playing the sport for nearly 50 years and still looks forward to the annual gathering.

Arriving from the UK in 1976, he was already active on the court.

“I was in the UK Navy before that, the Royal Navy,” Moore said.

“I was playing in the UK, not so serious as since I have been out here though.”

He was living in Macandrew Bay when a local tennis player knocked on his door.

“He said that I had to join the Macandrew Bay club, which I did.”

Since then, he has been involved either competing or helping run matches.

While he would not be taking part in the games this year, the sport was still a vital part of his routine, Moore said.

“I wouldn’t do without it, it’s good exercise.

“I’m still playing, but not in the bigger league.”

Player Ian Moore serves up a storm against fellow competitor Denise Colston. Photo: Sam Henderson

Fellow competitor Denise Colston, 69, said she had been playing tennis for about 35 years.

She enjoyed the enduring friendships formed on the courts.

Entering the 55+ bracket was a chance to reconnect with peers.

“You meet everybody, it’s like a big reunion,” Colston said.

“You might only see those people once a year.”

Dunedin resident Ian Moore still enjoys getting out on the court at 82. Photo: Sam Henderson

 

The free tournament will feature players from six regions: Otago, Southland/North Otago, Queenstown Lakes, South Canterbury, Canterbury Country and Canterbury.

Each province is bringing squads of 10 men and 10 women to compete in men’s doubles, women’s doubles and mixed doubles.

The action will run from 8am to 6pm on Friday and Saturday.

Sunday will feature a half day of games starting at 8am and finishing at 1pm.

Competitors will play two sets to four, with a 10-point tiebreaker replacing a traditional third set.

Anyone is welcome to attend the weekend matches for free to support the players.

sam.henderson@thestar.co.nz