Warrant withdrawn

The arrest warrant for a Dunedin man who was wanted as a witness in the David Bain retrial has been withdrawn.

A police spokeswoman yesterday confirmed the warrant for Dean Cottle had been withdrawn. Police would be making no further comment, she said.

Last week, a warrant was issued by the High Court at Christchurch for Mr Cottle after he was called by the defence to be a witness in the trial of 37-year-old David Bain.

Bain is accused of killing his 18-year-old sister Laniet and four other family members in Every St, Dunedin, on June 20, 1994.

Mr Cottle was to be the last of 53 witnesses for the defence. The jury at the trial was informed he had left the country and a warrant had been issued for his arrest.

Mr Cottle on May 13 evaded a witness summons, Justice Graham Panckhurst told jurors on Tuesday last week.

Mr Cottle is believed to be in Australia.

 

Add a Comment