100-year-old saved from Gore house fire

A 100-year-old woman has been rescued from a large house fire in Gore this morning.

Emergency services were called to the Toronto St property just after 5am.

Volunteer firefighters arrived at 5.12am to find the house engulfed in flames.

An elderly man was rescued from inside the house by crew wearing breathing apparatus.

He was taken to Gore Hospital by St John with serious injuries, and has since been transferred to Dunedin Hospital.

The woman, found outside the house, was taken to hospital with smoke inhalation.

Two more nearby fire brigades assisted in bringing the "very good fire" under control.

A spokesman for Southern Fire communications said fire safety is now at the scene investigating how the fire started.

He confirmed the occupants were elderly, with one being over 100 and one in their nineties.

There was a working smoke alarm, which appears to have saved their lives, he said.

Add a Comment

Our journalists are your neighbours

We are the South's eyes and ears in crucial council meetings, at court hearings, on the sidelines of sporting events and on the frontline of breaking news.

As our region faces uncharted waters in the wake of a global pandemic, Otago Daily Times continues to bring you local stories that matter.

We employ local journalists and photographers to tell your stories, as other outlets cut local coverage in favour of stories told out of Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch.

You can help us continue to bring you local news you can trust by becoming a supporter.

Become a Supporter