Carpet layer dies after being overcome with fumes

A Greymouth carpetlayer has died two days after he was found unconscious apparently from chemical fumes while working in an industrial building at South Beach.

The 37-year-old man was found unresponsive early on Tuesday afternoon. The Greymouth Volunteer Fire Brigade, St John and police were called to the site about 1.30pm, by which time a fire volunteer had helped pull the man from the building.

Chief fire officer Lee Swinburn said a chemical being used at the site appeared to be involved.

"It was a chemical-related incident," Mr Swinburn said.

The man was taken to Grey Base Hospital and later transferred in a critical condition to Christchurch Hospital, where he died yesterday.

In a statement this morning detective sergeant Kirsten Norton, of Greymouth CIB, said the death was not considered to be suspicious.

"Our thoughts are with his family at this difficult time," Ms Norton said.

Work Safe NZ is investigating.

 -  by Brendon McMahon

Add a Comment

 

drivesouth1.png

drivesouth2.png