Former CYFs caregiver accused of abusing 17 boys

Photo: Getty Images
The man, who is in his 50s, has pleaded not guilty to all the allegations and is due to go on trial in April in the High Court at Auckland. Photo: Getty Images
A former Child, Youth and Family caregiver will keep his name secret for at least another month after being accused of sexually abusing more than a dozen boys.

But the Crown wants the accused man named before his trial so that other potential complainants might come forward.

In a decision this month, obtained by the Herald, Justice Christian Whata continued the suppression order for the Auckland man who faces a total of 43 charges against 17 boys.

Suppression will lapse, however, on January 17 unless he challenges the judgment at the Court of Appeal.

"There should be no expectation of a further extension by this court," Justice Whata said.

The man, who is in his 50s, has pleaded not guilty to all the allegations and is due to go on trial in April in the High Court at Auckland.

The ex-caregiver's alleged offending stems from the mid-2000s and after an intensive police investigation, dubbed Operation Elephant, the man was charged just before Christmas last year.

Of the 17 complainants, 14 were allegedly sexually abused while others were subjected to physical abuse when the man was working for Child, Youth and Family - now Oranga Tamariki.

One boy was allegedly assaulted with a bamboo stick.

It is further alleged some boys who were in the man's care suffered multiple sexual assaults over several weeks or months.

The man is also accused of threatening to kill other boys and supplying methamphetamine and cannabis to teens.

 

Our journalists are your neighbours

We are the South's eyes and ears in crucial council meetings, at court hearings, on the sidelines of sporting events and on the frontline of breaking news.

As our region faces uncharted waters in the wake of a global pandemic, Otago Daily Times continues to bring you local stories that matter.

We employ local journalists and photographers to tell your stories, as other outlets cut local coverage in favour of stories told out of Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch.

You can help us continue to bring you local news you can trust by becoming a supporter.

Become a Supporter