Grave desecration charges dropped

Police plan to drop charges against one of the men accused of being involved in the desecration of Jewish graves in Auckland.

Nathan Symington, 23, was charged with intentional damage over the attack on about 20 graves in Grafton Cemetery last month.

Police said today they had advised Symington they would be seeking to formally withdraw the charge of intentional damage at his next court appearance because there is not enough evidence to carry out a "robust" prosecution.

Two other defendants are still facing charges over the attack, in which anti-Semitic graffiti and swastikas were sprayed on the headstones at the cemetery on Symonds St.

About 15 had large, black swastikas sprayed on them. One had "f*** Israel" scrawled on, another said "don't f*** with us".

Symington earlier admitted sharing a photo of the desecrated graves, but labelled allegations he had participated in the attack as "a witch hunt".

"No I didn't do it. They're just trying to point the stick at someone. I feel like killing myself over this because my name has been publicly shamed," he told reporters.

The remaining two defendants are next scheduled to appear in court on November 13.

- Hayden Donnell of Herald Online

Add a Comment

Our journalists are your neighbours

We are the South's eyes and ears in crucial council meetings, at court hearings, on the sidelines of sporting events and on the frontline of breaking news.

As our region faces uncharted waters in the wake of a global pandemic, Otago Daily Times continues to bring you local stories that matter.

We employ local journalists and photographers to tell your stories, as other outlets cut local coverage in favour of stories told out of Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch.

You can help us continue to bring you local news you can trust by becoming a supporter.

Become a Supporter