You are not permitted to download, save or email this image. Visit image gallery to purchase the image.
Finance Minister Grant Robertson said landlords will temporarily be unable to raise rents in a bid to provide relief to renters facing reduced working hours or job losses as a result of the coronavirus downturn.
Rents were the biggest weekly bill facing Kiwis, Robertson said.
- Ardern raises NZ to alert level 3, schools to close
- 36 new virus cases; spread in community
- Alert level 3: What this means for you
- Flight Centre cuts 250 jobs
- Air NZ to start laying off staff
- Stark picture in worst-case scenario
"We do need to make sure we are securing New Zealanders' income during this period," Robertson said in response to a question about whether a universal income for all Kiwis would be put in place.
He also said a further announcement about mortgage relief would be coming.