Two plead not guilty over burning death

Two men charged with pouring petrol on a man and setting him alight have pleaded not guilty.

Bryne Permal and Shivneel Kumar deny murdering Shalvin Prasad, who was found burnt to death in a rural area of south Auckland earlier this year.

The pair made a brief appearance at the High Court at Auckland this morning.

Their case will be heard by a jury in July next year.

Justice Timothy Brewer remanded the pair in custody.

He continued suppression orders that cover part of the police evidence against the pair.

That evidence will be the subject of legal arguments before trial.

"There is little point in arguing evidence should be unknown to a jury if the media publish the evidence for all to read," Justice Brewer said.

"Other details from the police case can be published."

According to the police summary of facts, alarm bells rang with Mr Prasad's family on January 30 when his father checked his son's bank account and found $30,000 missing.

 

Add a Comment

Our journalists are your neighbours

We are the South's eyes and ears in crucial council meetings, at court hearings, on the sidelines of sporting events and on the frontline of breaking news.

As our region faces uncharted waters in the wake of a global pandemic, Otago Daily Times continues to bring you local stories that matter.

We employ local journalists and photographers to tell your stories, as other outlets cut local coverage in favour of stories told out of Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch.

You can help us continue to bring you local news you can trust by becoming a supporter.

Become a Supporter