House fire prompts warning on smoke alarms

A fire which damaged two rooms of an Alexandra home on Friday night underlined the importance of having working smoke alarms, Alexandra Fire Brigade members said.

Station officer John Mawhinney said the brigade was called to the Kenmare St house at 8.15pm on Friday and spent about three hours containing the blaze.

The fire damaged walls and ceilings in the lounge and kitchen.

Mr Mawhinney said the smoke alarm in the house did not have batteries, but a barking dog in the lounge alerted the two occupants to the fire.

Mr Mawhinney said it was important smoke alarms were working.

Roofing iron was removed so firemen could tackle the blaze from the roof, and six firefighters used breathing apparatus to help contain the fire from inside.

The fire appeared to have started in a mantelpiece above a fireplace.

The fireplace housed a log burner.

 

Add a Comment

 

Advertisement

Our journalists are your neighbours

We are the South's eyes and ears in crucial council meetings, at court hearings, on the sidelines of sporting events and on the frontline of breaking news.

As our region faces uncharted waters in the wake of a global pandemic, Otago Daily Times continues to bring you local stories that matter.

We employ local journalists and photographers to tell your stories, as other outlets cut local coverage in favour of stories told out of Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch.

You can help us continue to bring you local news you can trust by becoming a supporter.

Become a Supporter