Public submissions on draft annual plan top 600

More than 600 public submissions on the Clutha district draft annual plan had been received at 4pm yesterday.

The period for making submissions closed at 5pm.

Clutha District Council communication co-ordinator Jamie Shaw said the council had received about 310 submissions on the Clutha Recreation Centre, and about the same number relating to the West Otago Health Centre.

There were also about 50 submissions relating to other matters.

Compared with previous years, there had been much interest in the draft annual plan, he said.

Last year's annual plan attracted about 100 sub-missions, and the long-term plan attracted about 500.

Mr Shaw said the big community response was because a couple of big issues were coming up - the recreation centre and West Otago Health.

Mr Shaw could not say last night how many submissions were in favour of the proposed projects.

"There has been such a huge number come in over the weekend, it will probably take a couple of days just to collate that."

The council will meet on May 20 to hear verbal submissions, and will hold a special meeting on June 9 to consider submissions and any changes to the draft annual plan, before the annual plan is adopted on June 24.

Add a Comment

Our journalists are your neighbours

We are the South's eyes and ears in crucial council meetings, at court hearings, on the sidelines of sporting events and on the frontline of breaking news.

As our region faces uncharted waters in the wake of a global pandemic, Otago Daily Times continues to bring you local stories that matter.

We employ local journalists and photographers to tell your stories, as other outlets cut local coverage in favour of stories told out of Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch.

You can help us continue to bring you local news you can trust by becoming a supporter.

Become a Supporter