Group challenging sports hub advice

Aaron Heath
Aaron Heath
Wanaka's new sports facilities should be built at a greenfields site on the outskirts of town rather than on a camping ground and showgrounds reserve in the centre of the resort, a report released yesterday by Queenstown Lakes District Council community services general manager Paul Wilson recommends.

But a Wanaka group of businessmen and former councillors warns if the Queenstown Lakes District Council adopts the recommendation next Tuesday, there could be a ''major split'' in the town.

They met yesterday to complete an alternative town-centre sports hub proposal they want the council to consider next week.

''We won't take a flawed decision on this lying down,'' former councillor Aaron Heath said yesterday.

Former councillor Peter Gray said: ''A town this size cannot afford it being in the wrong place.

It is a vital decision.''

Former deputy mayor John Wilson said: ''I would be very surprised if it didn't [polarise the town].''

Council chief executive Debra Lawson yesterday acknowledged the ''hugely significant'' issue had polarised Wanaka since 2008 and warned ''The decision will be tough.''

She agreed the facility could not be built soon enough.

''I think we all agree that we need to ensure, whatever the outcome, we all work together to build a facility that we can all be proud of, that will serve current and future generations. That's what I'm looking forward to,'' Ms Lawson said.

If the recommendation is adopted, it will rely on the completion of the North Three Parks plan change.

It could be three or four years before construction commences and the Wanaka group says sports groups' needs are pressing.

A hub in the town centre could be achieved in half that time.

The group said despite calls for the council to make up its mind, it should not rush.

''We are not suggesting they delay another year, but while the focus has been on greenfields in the last year, very little has been considered about the showgrounds,'' John Wilson said.

Documents attached to Paul Wilson's report show the greenfields site will cost ratepayers an estimated $66.28 each per year, compared with $57.47 if the showgrounds and a partly redeveloped camping ground were used.

Other options would cost ratepayers $68.95 (showgrounds, no camp) or $82.23 (showgrounds with full camp development).

Two landowners have agreed to provide about 5.5ha in land contributions in advance of developments but Paul Wilson suggests if problems emerge with the plan change, the council may consider buying all the land it needs for about $1.4 million.

Paul Wilson recommended the central site in a report last March.

The council has twice deferred that decision and requested more information on the greenfields site, including whether landowners were prepared to make early reserves contributions.

Add a Comment

 

Advertisement

OUTSTREAM