Details of gas injury incident not clarified

How a gas incident, which injured two people, at a Queenstown hotel happened remains unclear, as its manager is refusing to answer questions.

Last Thursday, two people were taken to Lakes District Hospital after Fire and Emergency New Zealand (Fenz) and St John responded to reports of a gas leak at the 73-room hotel, in the suburb of Fernhill, about 8.50am.

Kamana Lakehouse general manager Mario Sandulescu has not responded to repeated requests for comment.

A Fenz spokesman said the incident involved a build-up of carbon monoxide.

St John took two people to hospital, one with moderate injuries and the other with minor.

It is unknown whether they were guests or staff.

WorkSafe New Zealand confirmed yesterday it had not been notified of the incident.

guy.williams@odt.co.nz

Add a Comment

Our journalists are your neighbours

We are the South's eyes and ears in crucial council meetings, at court hearings, on the sidelines of sporting events and on the frontline of breaking news.

As our region faces uncharted waters in the wake of a global pandemic, Otago Daily Times continues to bring you local stories that matter.

We employ local journalists and photographers to tell your stories, as other outlets cut local coverage in favour of stories told out of Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch.

You can help us continue to bring you local news you can trust by becoming a supporter.

Become a Supporter