Extinguish fires warning

The Wanaka Volunteer Fire Brigade is reminding the public to ensure fires in outdoor cooking receptacles are extinguished, after a fire was started this week by a pizza oven.

About 8pm on Wednesday, firefighters were called to a property in McDougall St where a pizza oven, which had been used 24 hours earlier, caused a straw bale wall next to it to smoulder internally.

Fire officer Mark Strang said the incident served as a reminder to people to make sure fires within outdoor ovens and barbecues were extinguished.

A total fire ban is in force across the Queenstown Lakes District and the only permitted fires are electric or gas barbecues in properly constructed containers and fires in approved, purpose-built permanent surrounds.

Queenstown Lakes District Council principal rural fire officer Gordon Bailey said while there were exceptions, generally, built-in pizza ovens were permitted, provided they had a minimum 1.5m flue and were sufficiently recessed.

 

Add a Comment

Our journalists are your neighbours

We are the South's eyes and ears in crucial council meetings, at court hearings, on the sidelines of sporting events and on the frontline of breaking news.

As our region faces uncharted waters in the wake of a global pandemic, Otago Daily Times continues to bring you local stories that matter.

We employ local journalists and photographers to tell your stories, as other outlets cut local coverage in favour of stories told out of Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch.

You can help us continue to bring you local news you can trust by becoming a supporter.

Become a Supporter