Truck access issue resolved

A burning issue in Kingston appears to have been resolved to residents’ satisfaction, in a matter of just a few hours.

On Wednesday, the Kingston Community Board was talking publicly about court action to stop the Kingston Village Ltd, the developer of a 750-lot subdivision, running 45-tonne gravel trucks along narrow Kent St.

But late on Friday, the Queenstown Lakes District Council’s chief engineer announced the problem had been solved.

The company had "very recently" secured access directly from State Highway 6 south of the township.

And in the same statement, company director Craig Goodman said the company was "very pleased" to have access that would alleviate the community’s concerns.

Board chairman Athol Elliott said on Saturday the SH6 option was what the community had always wanted.

He thanked council staff, who had been "working pretty hard for us".

Mr Elliott said the concern had not been about the development, but about the safety of residents.

Add a Comment

 

drivesouth-pow-generic-1.png

Our journalists are your neighbours

We are the South's eyes and ears in crucial council meetings, at court hearings, on the sidelines of sporting events and on the frontline of breaking news.

As our region faces uncharted waters in the wake of a global pandemic, Otago Daily Times continues to bring you local stories that matter.

We employ local journalists and photographers to tell your stories, as other outlets cut local coverage in favour of stories told out of Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch.

You can help us continue to bring you local news you can trust by becoming a supporter.

Become a Supporter