Wanaka A&P gambles on Covid alert level change

Wanaka A&P Show organisers yesterday decided to press ahead with this year’s annual show, despite uncertainty about Covid-19 alert levels.

The show on March 12 and 13 could go ahead "thanks to the overwhelming generosity of a huge percentage of valued trade exhibitors, sponsors and funders" who had pledged support, organisers said.

The organisers had the financial foundations in place to allow the show to continue as planned, event manager Jane Stalker said last night.

The show could not be held under Alert Level 2, so the organisers were hoping for a move back to Level 1 this Sunday.

She was "truly grateful" for the backing of trade exhibitors, sponsors and funders, who had earlier been asked to waive their right to site fee refunds if the show had to be cancelled under any further Level 2 restrictions.

"We know how much it means to you all."

Assuming the South Island returned to Level 1 on Sunday, and the show went ahead as planned, she assured the public that all safety requirements from the Ministry of Health would be adhered to.

Add a Comment

Our journalists are your neighbours

We are the South's eyes and ears in crucial council meetings, at court hearings, on the sidelines of sporting events and on the frontline of breaking news.

As our region faces uncharted waters in the wake of a global pandemic, Otago Daily Times continues to bring you local stories that matter.

We employ local journalists and photographers to tell your stories, as other outlets cut local coverage in favour of stories told out of Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch.

You can help us continue to bring you local news you can trust by becoming a supporter.

Become a Supporter