Warning after rats wash up on Westport beaches

Dog owners are being warned to keep their pets off Westport beaches after hundreds of rats washed up there yesterday.

The Department of Conservation said they may be victims of a recent 1080 drop 140km away in the Lewis Pass National Reserve.

There is a risk dogs could be poisoned if they eat the dead rats.

Doc said they may have been washed down the Buller River in recent heavy rains and deposited on beaches near the river's mouth.

Samples of the rats have been taken and sent away for testing but Doc said results could take two to three days to come through.

Doc Western South Island operations director Mark Davies said while it was possible the rats could have come from a recent 1080 drop, reports of dead fish and birds, along with the rats, were not consistent with the way 1080 was understood to work.

Signs have been posted on Westport beaches and work is now under way to remove the dead rodents.

Comments

Typical DoC.. Maybe from a 1080 drop...
A hell of a lot of dead rats wash up after a 1080 drop and they MAYBE.... The only thing different this time is that they weren't washed out to sea and continued killing everything out there.

drivesouth-pow-generic-1.png

 

Advertisement

postanote_header_620_x_80.png

postanote_620_x_25.jpg

Our journalists are your neighbours

We are the South's eyes and ears in crucial council meetings, at court hearings, on the sidelines of sporting events and on the frontline of breaking news.

As our region faces uncharted waters in the wake of a global pandemic, Otago Daily Times continues to bring you local stories that matter.

We employ local journalists and photographers to tell your stories, as other outlets cut local coverage in favour of stories told out of Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch.

You can help us continue to bring you local news you can trust by becoming a supporter.

Become a Supporter