Duncan unable to get MIQ spot

Courtenay Duncan. Photo: ODT files
Courtenay Duncan. Photo: ODT files
Dunedin rider Courtney Duncan is in a race she might not be able to win.

The 25-year-old won her third consecutive Women’s World Motocross Championship title at the weekend.

She shook off a crash in the penultimate leg of the series and triumphed over rival and six-time champion Italian Kiara Fontanesi.

She would love to celebrate her achievement with her family and friends, and normally, she would be winging her way home right about now.

But Duncan is just one of the many New Zealanders who have been unable to secure a voucher for managed isolation and quarantine.

At the very least, she would love to be home for Christmas. But after a couple of months of trying to secure a spot in MIQ, Duncan is losing hope.

"Unfortunately [I] still haven’t had any luck on getting home,"she said.

"I’m waiting to try again this week.

"I have no idea if I’ll be back for Christmas. Honestly, the way it’s been the last couple of months, the odds aren’t high.

"If I’m to be honest with you, I’m frustrated with it.

"My season’s done and normally I’d be on my way home by now.

"I’ve been on the road for what seems a long time and I’m definitely starting to miss home and being around my friends."

Duncan left New Zealand in July and was planning on returning to New Zealand in the first week of November.

Last month, she told Stuff she was worried she would overstay her visa and that could potentially be damaging for her career.

"If I overstay my visa then I won't be allowed back. If I'm not allowed back then I won't be racing so there's things we need to work through."

The New Zealand Government yesterday provided some hope for Duncan and people in her plight. Changes to the MIQ system from November 14 will free up about 1500 rooms per month.

drivesouth-pow-classic-2.png

Our journalists are your neighbours

We are the South's eyes and ears in crucial council meetings, at court hearings, on the sidelines of sporting events and on the frontline of breaking news.

As our region faces uncharted waters in the wake of a global pandemic, Otago Daily Times continues to bring you local stories that matter.

We employ local journalists and photographers to tell your stories, as other outlets cut local coverage in favour of stories told out of Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch.

You can help us continue to bring you local news you can trust by becoming a supporter.

Become a Supporter