Crash-tackled streaker breaks even

A streaker is taken from the field during the International Test Match between the New Zealand...
A streaker is taken from the field during the International Test Match between the New Zealand All Blacks and England at Forsyth Barr Stadium. Photo by Getty
The streaker who was crash-tackled during an All Blacks match in Dunedin last month for a $500 bet has broken even today after being fined $500 at court.

Christchurch builder Adam Holtslag, 28, appeared before a Justice of the Peace at Christchurch District Court charged with offensive behaviour.

He pleaded guilty to the charge.

Police prosecutor Fiona Roberts told the court that Holtslag did it for a $500 bet.
After he was "apprehended'' by security and taken to the sidelines, he told them, "It was worth it.''

Justice of the Peace Robert McGregor told him today that "half of New Zealand'' saw his performance, and that it was "offensive to an awful lot of people''.

He stopped himself from giving a personal opinion but added that Holtslag had "interrupted a good game of rugby''.

He fined him $500 plus court costs.

Outside court, Holtslag said it "definitely wasn't worth it'' - when he told police afterwards that it had been, it was "still drunk''.

He wants to now put the incident behind him, saying the media attention he's received has been "ridiculous''.

"It's not worth the stress,'' he said.

Footage of the tackle by security guard Brad Hemopo, himself a Canterbury rugby player, went viral on the internet, and divided opinion over whether the "king hit'' went too far.

Days later, Holtslag himself told APNZ that while he was nursing sore ribs from "a bit of a cheap shot", he did not want to take the matter any further.

"It was a good hit, eh?'' he said.

But today he said he had a fractured rib and was "still a bit sore''.

He still holds no ill will towards Hemopo: "It's all over now.''

Holtslag recalls the incident clearly, but he "didn't see that [tackle] coming at all''.

"I wasn't going to resist or anything. As soon as they got me, I went along with it.''

He had travelled to the game with five mates, and earlier in the day watched the Nude Blacks v England naked game.

He's now hoping his mates will cough up to pay his $500 fine imposed by the stadium.

Holtslag was also banned from the stadium for two years.

- by Kurt Bayer of APNZ 







Our journalists are your neighbours

We are the South's eyes and ears in crucial council meetings, at court hearings, on the sidelines of sporting events and on the frontline of breaking news.

As our region faces uncharted waters in the wake of a global pandemic, Otago Daily Times continues to bring you local stories that matter.

We employ local journalists and photographers to tell your stories, as other outlets cut local coverage in favour of stories told out of Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch.

You can help us continue to bring you local news you can trust by becoming a supporter.

Become a Supporter