You are not permitted to download, save or email this image. Visit image gallery to purchase the image.
The Dunedin health professional accused of murdering a 16-year-old girl will fight to keep his identity under wraps.
The 30-year-old defendant, who allegedly killed teenager Amber-Rose Rush on February 2, appeared before the High Court at Dunedin yesterday, where Justice Gerald Nation declined an application to continue name suppression.
However, defence counsel Marie Taylor-Cyphers indicated at the end of the hearing that she would appeal the decision.
Under such circumstances, suppression must continue, in case the appeal is successful.
The defendant pleaded not guilty to murder, as well as four charges of threatening to kill which were added last month.
His denials were so vehement, he had to be told by the registrar to wait until the charges were read before he entered the pleas.
Justice Nation suppressed the arguments surrounding the defendant's bid for anonymity, as well as other details of the alleged offending.
Amber-Rose was found dead by family members at her Corstorphine home the day after her alleged murder.
Police said her alleged attacker was known to her and they were not seeking anyone else.
Her mother Lisa Ann voiced her heartache on social media.
''How do I put into words what you mean to me my baby girl. You are literally my other half, my soul, my heart, my everything,'' she wrote.
In the days following Amber-Rose's death, police searched waterways at Blackhead and confirmed they found ''an item of interest'', understood to be a cellphone.
They later asked for public sightings of a silver BMW travelling between Dunedin and Balclutha in the early hours of February 3.
Amber-Rose was farewelled at a colourful funeral on February 10 where she was described as the ''life of the party'', who acted tough but was a ''marshmallow'' on the inside.
The murder accused was remanded in custody and will be back in court for a hearing on March 27.
He has yet to make a bail application.
His counsel was given until 5pm on Thursday to file an appeal against the name suppression ruling with the Court of Appeal.