Fewer beds, more nurses for service

Rather than nurses losing their jobs at Wakari Hospital's specialist rehabilitation service (Isis), their workforce will be strengthened, New Zealand Nurses Organisation Dunedin organiser Lorraine Lobb says.

Southern District Health Board is in the process of downgrading the rehabilitation ward from 26 to 16 beds because of less revenue from funders such as the Ministry of Health.

Under a proposal presented to staff this week, registered and enrolled nurses would slightly increase (0.64 full-time equivalent and 0.48 full-time equivalent respectively), while 2.1 full-time equivalent health care assistants would lose their jobs.

Redeployment was likely for the "very skilled" health care assistants, she said.

"It would be a great loss for the DHB not to have them somewhere else in the DHB."

Because restructuring had been in train nearly a year, the ward stopped recruiting nurses, Ms Lobb said.

The DHB had carefully considered the "ideal skill mix" for a 16-bed unit, which resulted in the slight increase in nursing numbers.

Staff submissions on the proposal close on May 11.

- eileen.goodwin@odt.co.nz

 

Add a Comment

 

drivesouth-pow-generic-1.png

 

Advertisement

postanote_header_620_x_80.png

postanote_620_x_25.jpg

Our journalists are your neighbours

We are the South's eyes and ears in crucial council meetings, at court hearings, on the sidelines of sporting events and on the frontline of breaking news.

As our region faces uncharted waters in the wake of a global pandemic, Otago Daily Times continues to bring you local stories that matter.

We employ local journalists and photographers to tell your stories, as other outlets cut local coverage in favour of stories told out of Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch.

You can help us continue to bring you local news you can trust by becoming a supporter.

Become a Supporter