You are not permitted to download, save or email this image. Visit image gallery to purchase the image.
The owners of the Kilmog Quarry, north of Dunedin, have been granted the right to expand their operation more than first permitted after an appeal to the Environment Court.
The couple, Geoff and Tracey Scurr, of Geoff Scurr Contracting, turned to the Environment Court earlier this year to appeal some of the 24 conditions imposed on the quarry's operation by the Dunedin City Council.
In August, the council granted the Scurrs consent to expand the quarry operation, but with new conditions designed to protect neighbours from noise, dust and other problems.
Among them was one limiting rock extraction to 30,000cu m each year; less than the maximum 45,000cu m the Scurrs wanted in some years.
The couple launched an appeal in October and held mediation talks with council staff and neighbours who had become parties to the appeal.
Mrs Scurr said at the time the company wanted to reduce rock-crushing, loading and transporting activities on Saturdays, and in return start weekday rock-crushing activities - when needed - one hour earlier than allowed, at 7am, not 8am.
The company also wanted to be allowed to carry over some unused rock extraction capacity from one year to the next, while remaining within the average 30,000cu m annual limit ''or thereabouts'' required by the council, she said. A clarification to a condition defining ''crushing time'' was also sought.
An Environment Court ruling dated December 20 said the couple's appeal had been granted, resulting in four council conditions being amended, including one setting the amount able to be extracted from the quarry.
The court decision said the couple could remove up to 30,000cu m of rock from the site in any calendar year, but also carry over up to 50% of any unused amount from one calendar year to the next.
The court's decision also tweaked the quarry's daily hours of operation, requirements for bunds around the site, and set limits on rock crushing at the quarry.