Property again deluged

Water poured through the access way to Joy Hall's Glen Rd, Dunedin, property yesterday,...
Water poured through the access way to Joy Hall's Glen Rd, Dunedin, property yesterday, threatening a footbridge already damaged in last year's floods. PHOTO: GREGOR RICHARDSON
One of Dunedin's most badly flood-affected properties last June faced more of the same, when heavy rain pummelled the city yesterday.

In the 24 hours to 4pm yesterday, 62mm of rain fell in Dunedin city. Some of the heaviest falls occurred about 5am. Places affected by flooding on June 3 last year, were affected again and knee-deep water was reported in some areas.

Joy Hall was told after last year's floods the footbridge on to her Glen Rd property was in "imminent danger'' of collapse.

The bridge still stands but access to her property was once again swamped.

A stream that runs beneath the bridge was eroding the foundations. Water and debris ran from the road into her property, just as it had done almost 12 months ago.

"It's [water] coming off the road that's doing the damage,'' Mrs Hall said yesterday.

"We're right at the bottom of the hill and we're getting everyone else's ...

"The basic drainage system is just not coping with it.

"We love the place but we just can't deal with this.''

A blocked culvert further up the road had been "fixed'' but needed more extensive work. Every time significant rain fell, water flowed down the road, she said.

About 5.30am yesterday the rain was so heavy Mrs Hall moved her car from where her garage used to be, for fear it would be swept down to the stream. The garage was demolished last year after water running into it from the road caused damage that could not be
repaired.

Mrs Hall was annoyed the problems experienced last year had occurred again.

"I said if it's [the culvert] not fixed before winter, it will flood again.''

The Earthquake Commission (EQC) had suggested a figure of $66,000 to carry out work on the property's access.

Mrs Hall and husband Bruce's, insurance did not cover natural disasters, so they would have to pay about $50,000 of the bill themselves.

EQC offered them $13,800 for the damage last year.

"As soon as this fixed, we're going to have to put our house on the market,'' she said.

Add a Comment

 

drivesouth-pow-generic-1.png

Our journalists are your neighbours

We are the South's eyes and ears in crucial council meetings, at court hearings, on the sidelines of sporting events and on the frontline of breaking news.

As our region faces uncharted waters in the wake of a global pandemic, Otago Daily Times continues to bring you local stories that matter.

We employ local journalists and photographers to tell your stories, as other outlets cut local coverage in favour of stories told out of Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch.

You can help us continue to bring you local news you can trust by becoming a supporter.

Become a Supporter