Tourism plans on show

Tourism New Zealand will unveil its marketing plans for the next three years to a Dunedin audience today.

The organisation will present its new promotion strategy for the country at a public function at Mercure Hotel this afternoon.

It will be a chance for people involved in the tourism industry to learn about national priorities in respect of attracting visitors and growing their contribution to the economy.

Dunedin tourism operators will be able to align their own marketing strategies with those at a national level and contribute feedback on the plan.

Earlier this year at New Zealand's largest tourism trade conference Trenz, held in Auckland, there was discussion about India, Indonesia and Latin America being the next tourism growth markets for New Zealand.

The Government allocated $44.5 million in its latest annual budget to attract visitors from those emerging markets.

China also continued to have huge growth potential as a visitor market.

At Trenz, Prime Minister John Key said the annual number of Chinese visitors to New Zealand was expected to increase from 200,000 to about a million.

About 180,000 Chinese would visit the South Island each year, he said.

Already, Otago tourism operators have started catering especially to Chinese visitors, by offering Chinese language options and accommodating Chinese cultural practices.

Tourism New Zealand developed its new strategy following consultation with tourism professionals nationwide.

The plan had yet to be approved by the organisation's board, although it was expected to be implemented next month.

Tourism New Zealand will also present the three-year strategy to industry representatives in Queenstown, Christchurch, Wellington, Rotorua and Auckland this week.

The Queenstown session will be held on Thursday.

rosie.manins@odt.co.nz

Add a Comment

 

Advertisement

Our journalists are your neighbours

We are the South's eyes and ears in crucial council meetings, at court hearings, on the sidelines of sporting events and on the frontline of breaking news.

As our region faces uncharted waters in the wake of a global pandemic, Otago Daily Times continues to bring you local stories that matter.

We employ local journalists and photographers to tell your stories, as other outlets cut local coverage in favour of stories told out of Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch.

You can help us continue to bring you local news you can trust by becoming a supporter.

Become a Supporter