Waikato manhunt: Trio died several days ago

Ross Bremner. Photo via NZ Police
Ross Bremner. Photo via NZ Police
Police who found three bodies in a Waitomo District house yesterday believe the people had been dead for several days.

The bodies were found at a house in the remote, tiny coastal community of Kinohaku. 

Police confirmed today that one of the three deceased was Ross Bremner (34), whom police were hunting in connection to the double stabbing of his parents in the Waikato.

Police said the two other victims were an elderly couple who were not related to Bremner.

It is not known how they knew Bremner. Waikato Police acting district commander Naila Hassan said it was possible they did not know him.

Hassan said it was an "utterly tragic outcome".

Police at the scene where three bodies were discovered. Photo: NZ Herald
Police at the scene where three bodies were discovered. Photo: NZ Herald

Earlier, Waitomo darts club member Sharon Te Ngare said the couple should have been at the King Country Area Darts meet today but they were not.

"They would have been here today.

"They're lovely, they were really lovely. They retired from darts but still came in to support us."

Te Ngare didn't know how Bremner knew the couple but didn't think they were related.

She didn't think the couple had any children of their own but they had raised a girl who is now in her 30s.

Hassan said the bodies were found by a person visiting the property.

A Holden Vectra Saloon, which had been the subject of a police search, was found at the property, Hassan said. 

Bremner was wanted in connection with the stabbing death of his mother, Clare (60), on Tuesday night at their home in Otorohanga. His father, Keith (64), was also critically injured during the attack and remains in Waikato Hospital.