Fire safety was the missing ingredient

Firefighters on the roof of the property in Alexandra. Photos: Jared Morgan
Firefighters on the roof of the property in Alexandra. Photos: Jared Morgan
A trip to the supermarket to get a missing ingredient midway through cooking a meal proved costly for an Alexandra man this morning.

Two fire appliances and about 20 firefighters were called to a house fire on the corner of Ventry and Shannon Sts at 10.52am.

Chief fire officer Russell Anderson said the fire started after a man went to New World to get a missing ingredient for the meal he was cooking and left a pot on the stove.

The mistake proved costly, as the fire spread from the kitchen into the roof cavity.

It could have been worse if a contractor for Delta had not been in the area and turned off power to the property before firefighters arrived.

Photo Jared Morgan
Photo Jared Morgan
Mr Anderson said apart from smoke damage the impact had been contained to the kitchen and roof cavity.

At 11.45am firefighters were at the scene lifting roofing iron, and smoke was still escaping from the ceiling cavity.

The property's owner, Helen-Louise Tetlow, who does not live at the address, said the blaze served as a reminder to always keep an eye on what you are cooking. 

Add a Comment

Our journalists are your neighbours

We are the South's eyes and ears in crucial council meetings, at court hearings, on the sidelines of sporting events and on the frontline of breaking news.

As our region faces uncharted waters in the wake of a global pandemic, Otago Daily Times continues to bring you local stories that matter.

We employ local journalists and photographers to tell your stories, as other outlets cut local coverage in favour of stories told out of Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch.

You can help us continue to bring you local news you can trust by becoming a supporter.

Become a Supporter