Lions makes up council shortfall for unit

An artist's impression of the new mobile command unit, for which North Otago Search and Rescue...
An artist's impression of the new mobile command unit, for which North Otago Search and Rescue needs to raise $150,000. Photo supplied.
Raising efforts to provide North Otago Search and Rescue with a new forward command unit this week reached the halfway point, despite the Waitaki District Council's refusal to contribute financially towards the purchase.

The council withdrew a grant of $25,000 for the $150,000 unit when it made decisions on its long-term plan last month.

However, chairman Tony Wood revealed on Wednesday the Lions Foundation had this week stepped into the breach with a $30,000 grant.

Mr Wood said he was "disappointed" with the council decision to withdraw from the proposal, which had been a joint venture with Civil Defence.

However, he said he "understood" the budget constraints with which the council was faced.

The group needed a further $80,000 to equip the mobile truck unit with appropriate communications and satellite capabilities needed in remote locations, Mr Wood said.

"We are waiting for other grant applications at the moment," Mr Wood said.

"We will continue with our fundraising, and I am confident that we can create this for the community."

- andrew.ashton@odt.co.nz

 

Add a Comment

Our journalists are your neighbours

We are the South's eyes and ears in crucial council meetings, at court hearings, on the sidelines of sporting events and on the frontline of breaking news.

As our region faces uncharted waters in the wake of a global pandemic, Otago Daily Times continues to bring you local stories that matter.

We employ local journalists and photographers to tell your stories, as other outlets cut local coverage in favour of stories told out of Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch.

You can help us continue to bring you local news you can trust by becoming a supporter.

Become a Supporter