Organisers of this year's washed-out Wanakafest expect to break even on the annual Labour Weekend event, despite a drastic drop in patrons from previous years.
The festival last month was hampered by heavy rain throughout its four-day programme, which meant many stallholders and members of the public stayed at home.
''Nobody came because the weather was so bad,'' event manager Laurel Morrison said.
The major losses were from the festival's two-day wine and food event, held on a sodden Pembroke Park.
Sales of Wanakafest beer and wine glasses amounted to just over half that of previous years, while stallholder donations to the festival trust - based on a percentage of profits - were also significantly down.
While the show did go on, musicians had to be moved inside marquees and Sunday's headline performance from Christchurch band ''1 Drop Nation'' was cancelled when sleet threatened to damage sound equipment.
While final numbers were still to be crunched, Mrs Morrison estimated the 2013 festival budget was down between $12,000 and $15,000.
However, a Central Lakes Trust grant and other ''buffers'' in the budget would recoup most of the loss, she said.
The impact of bad weather on the event had forced a rethink of future festivals, and Mrs Morrison was keen to hear the community's thoughts on how Wanakafest could be better structured to avoid a repeat of this year's issues.
She would meet wine and food stallholders, festival trustees and sponsors over the next few weeks to get further feedback, Mrs Morrison said.











