Marina opening expected next month

Photo: Paul Taylor
Photo: Paul Taylor
Lakes Marina Projects is on track to open the Frankton Marina in the middle of next month. LMP partner Alan Kirker, of Queenstown, said the first boat had been docked in the marina for a few weeks to test it, before it was opened to the public.

The $20million project has been almost a decade in the making and will feature 187 floating berths, 17 floating sheds, a breakwater, a 156-space car park and other structures at Sugar Lane.

Mr Kirker said the sheds would not be completed until February or March next year, as tenants had yet to be confirmed.

Mr Kirker is a 10% partner of LMP, and Iranian-born entrepreneurs and brothers Iraj and Nasser Barabi own the remaining 90% of the company.

Work on the development, which followed an agreement with landholder the Queenstown Lakes District Council, started in November 2017.

Add a Comment

Local journalism matters - now more than ever

As the Covid-19 pandemic brings the world into uncharted waters, Otago Daily Times reporters and photographers continue to bring you the stories that matter. For more than 158 years our journalists have provided readers with local news you can trust. This is more important now than ever.

As advertising drops off during the pandemic, support from our readers is crucial. You can help us continue to bring you news you can trust by becoming a supporter.

Become a Supporter