Wind-farm developer meets opponents

Submitters on the Mt Stuart wind farm proposal raised concerns about the project at a meeting on Saturday.

Central Otago company Pioneer Generation bought the Mt Stuart project, near Milton, from original developer NZ Windfarms Ltd earlier this year.

Pioneer Generation chief executive Peter Dowling said yesterday the meeting had been positive, with the company outlining its aims and submitters and residents giving their views.

It had been the first opportunity for the company to meet and discuss the project with submitters and residents, Mr Dowling said.

NZ Windfarms put the project on hold in February to consider submissions after all but one of the 15 submitters objected to the project.

Mr Dowling said Pioneer planned to spend the next month consulting submitters with a view to taking the project off hold in late September.

He hoped a consent hearing could be held before Christmas.

Ritchie McCorkindale, a Waitahuna sheep farmer who is objecting, said the hour-long meeting had been constructive, providing a chance to meet Pioneer Generation officials in person, and for submitters to outline their concerns.

He remained concerned about the "visual pollution" which would result from the proposed wind turbines, which would be up to 75m high, and the potential effect on property values.

He also believed that growing numbers of wind farms could damage New Zealand's "clean green" natural image with tourists.

The gathering was held in a tent on top of Mt Stuart.

The site is on the southwestern side of the Manuka Gorge about 15km inland from Milton and the project involves nine turbines generating between 5.5MW and 6.5MW.

john.gibb@odt.co.nz

Add a Comment