Mosgiel ends campaign with draw

Mosgiel’s Rory Findlay (in blue)  and Nomads United’s Liam Thompson race for the ball during...
Mosgiel’s Rory Findlay (in blue) and Nomads United’s Liam Thompson race for the ball during their Southern Football League match at Memorial Park yesterday. PHOTO: GERARD O’BRIEN
Mosgiel had enough chances to win, but it spent most of the game salvaging the point it ended with.

Twice Cam Anderson found his way to the penalty spot to haul in a two-goal deficit against Nomads United at Memorial Park yesterday.

It completed a hat-trick for the nippy right winger and secured a 3-3 draw in his side's final Southern Football League match.

Mosgiel started brightly and continued to get its dangerous attackers into space.

It regularly forced the Nomads defence to scramble - but scramble it did.

A lack of finishing touch combined with the brilliant form of goalkeeper Nika Ross limited Mosgiel's conversion rate.

Despite that, it did manage to take the first lead 19 minutes in.

Ben Deeley sent a long pass across field in space on the right to Anderson, who claimed what seemed an inevitable first goal.

Mosgiel kept attacking, but its defence became flimsy.

Three times in 20 minutes, Nomads found a way through to take a 3-1 lead at the break.

Milan Clarke got on the end of a free kick to equalise after 24 minutes, before Declan Hickford was left unmarked to add another five minutes later.

That became three just before halftime when Celyn Richards headed in a Jacob Anderson cross.

Mosgiel continued looking to get in behind the Nomads defence early in the second half.

However, it became guilty of overrunning the pass and was caught offside several times.

Its frustration began to show and that became evident as it was directed at the officials.

Mosgiel eventually got its timing right and, while it remained incapable of finishing, Anderson found his way to the spot.

He was pushed in the back with just under 30 minutes to play and made no mistake in slotting the penalty.

He was again taken out, this time by Ross in a one-on-one as the keeper rushed out to quell a through-ball.

Ross escaped a red card, although Anderson equalised seconds later from the spot.

Mosgiel continued to push for a win, but the Nomads defence did enough to hold on for a draw.

It leaves both sides on seven points and tied for fifth - although the other teams all have a game to play.

• In the Chatham Cup semifinals, Napier City Rovers beat Onehunga Sports FC 2-1 in extra time and will play Melville United in the final after its 2-0 win over Bay Olympic.

Christchurch's Coastal Spirit beat Wellington United 1-0 in the Kate Sheppard Cup and will play Eastern Suburbs in the final, after the Auckland side beat Hamilton Wanders 2-1.

Add a Comment