Perfect cross yields decider

Roslyn-Wakari attacker Simba Muwunganirwa sends a cross in that was met by captain Nick Treadwell...
Roslyn-Wakari attacker Simba Muwunganirwa sends a cross in that was met by captain Nick Treadwell for a goal at Ellis Park on Saturday. The Green Island defenders are Aiden Waddell (left) and Sam Dore. PHOTO: GERARD O’BRIEN
Roslyn-Wakari opened the ODT Southern Premiership men’s season with a tense 1-0 win over Green Island at Ellis Park on Saturday.

Green Island’s initial main threat came from set pieces, while Roslyn looked to attack down both flanks, and it was a cross that resulted in Roslyn taking the lead.

Simba Muwunganirwa sent in a perfect cross for Nick Treadwell to head past Island keeper Zane Green in the 39th minute.

Roslyn’s Luke Salisbury had an opportunity late in the first half but could only hit the side netting.

Green Island suffered a blow just four minutes into the second half when Sam Dore was sent off for dissent.

Despite being down to 10 men, Green Island looked more assured with Matt Mitchell and Tom Milton playing accurate long balls that led to attacking throw-ins and corners.

Green denied Muwunganirwa with a strong one-on-one save, and Roslyn custodian Tom Stevens made a near-identical save at the other end soon after to protect the lead.

Josh Marshall came the closest to doubling the lead for Roslyn with a couple of late efforts that went agonisingly wide of the post.

Northern showed their intent this season with an emphatic 7-0 win over Queenstown.

Rory Hibbert’s side-footed finish opened the scoring after 10 minutes, Sam Cosgrove raced clear 20 minutes later and blasted the ball into the bottom corner of the goal, and Tyler Muir made it 3-0 right on halftime.

Muir scored again in the 55th minute, finishing off a squared pass from Hibbert, who then made it 5-0 as he finished from close range following a Cosgrove cross.

Muir claimed his hat-trick when he followed up after keeper Mitchell Crow parried Sam Teitelbaum’s shot, and Hibbert claimed his hat-trick in the 85th minute, running on to a pass from Asti Wallace and shooting into the bottom corner.

Muir was shown a straight red card in injury time following a rash challenge on keeper Crow.

Wanaka scored after only six minutes through Daniel Brum against University, and held on for the win as the students looked for an equaliser.

Wanaka were forced into some desperate defending and received six yellow cards in the last 20 minutes. Substitute Martin Dvoracek was carded twice within eight minutes of being introduced.

At Memorial Park, Mosgiel and the Dunedin City Royals played out a 4-4 thriller.

Lucas Townend gave the Royals a lead inside two minutes, but Mosgiel scored three goals — through Taylor Donaldson (two) and Rhys Quarrell — in a devastating 11-minute spell to lead 3-1 at the break.

Royals coach Damo Moss rang the changes on the hour mark, and replacement Dafydd Spratt promptly reduced the deficit, but Mosgiel’s own super sub Reece Burtenshaw scored to restore the two-goal buffer.

Charlie Fawcett scored for the Royals in the 79th minute to set up a barnstorming finish, and with the four minutes of added time nearly up, Max Stanley scored a screamer from 22m out to seal a draw.

A George Edward brace for Queens Park meant Timaru’s Northern Hearts came away empty-handed from the 800km round trip to Invercargill.

In the opening round of the women’s premier division, the Dunedin City Royals started their quest for a 12th straight club title with a resounding 10-0 win over Green Island at Tahuna Park.

Green Island defended well in the first half to limit the damage to two goals, but the Royals lifted the tempo and accuracy in the second half, adding another eight with braces to Raegan Potter, Rose Morton and Nieve Collin.

The result pleased coach Graeme Smaill as there were seven Royals players making their debuts, and seven different goal scorers.

Toni Power impressed for the Royals with a strong display both in and out of possession.

Roslyn travelled to Queens Park and came away with a 4-0 win, Hannah Hargest claiming a hat-trick.

— Neville Watson