You are not permitted to download, save or email this image. Visit image gallery to purchase the image.
She demonstrated that when she was a member of the New Zealand quadruple scull that won a bronze medal at the world junior championships in Bulgaria this year.
"It was my first taste of what sport at this level is like and it has made me want to get more of it," McBride said.
"I learned that I will have to work harder and push myself more in races."
McBride (17) has set her sights on getting back in the New Zealand team for the world junior championships in Lithuania next year.
McBride and double sculls partner Hannah Duggan have made a big splash on the New Zealand rowing scene over the last two years.
McBride has won six gold medals in sculling events at the Maadi Cup in the last two years and another three at the New Zealand club championships.
She has established a remarkable partnership with Duggan, with whom she has won five of the gold medals.
They are members of the Otago Rowing Club and have worked hard over the last three years under the direction of coach John Parnell.
Inspired by the results of New Zealand rowers at the London Olympic Games, who won three gold and two bronze medals, the pair are keen to follow in their footsteps.
They talked with Hamish Bond and Rebecca Scown when they visited Dunedin after the Olympic Games.
"They told us there was nothing special about their training," Duggan said. "It is just a matter of doing the hard work."
Their targets for next year's Maadi Cup at Lake Karapiro are winning gold medals in the girls under-18 and lightweight double sculls, and for McBride to win the under-18 single sculls.
McBride and Duggan
NZ championships (2012):
• Zoe McBride: Gold medal in the women's under-19 double sculls, club double sculls, club single sculls.
• Hannah Duggan: Gold medal in the women's under-19 double sculls, club double sculls.
• McBride: Gold medals in girls under-16 single sculls, under-16 double sculls, under-18 lightweight double sculls; silver medal in under-17 single sculls.
• Duggan: Gold medals under-16 double sculls, under-18 lightweight double sculls.
• McBride: Gold medals in under-17 single sculls, under-18 single sculls, under-18 lightweight double sculls; silver medal in under-17 double sculls.
• Duggan: Gold medal in under-18 lightweight double sculls; silver medal in under-17 double sculls.