Yachties rescued in Cook Strait

Both people on a yacht in the Cook Strait have now been rescued, the Wellington Harbour Master says.

The Air Force, Navy and police had been searching for the vessel, following a mayday call made on Thursday afternoon.

Harbourmaster Grant Nalder said on Thursday night the yacht had been near Baring Head and was having difficulties returning to Wellington.

He said two people were on the vessel on Wednesday, when it was heading north from Wellington. One became unwell.

CoastGuard and the Police Maritime Unit went out to Cape Palliser on Thursday morning and brought that person back to Wellington.

The Harbour Master said the second person, the skipper, was brought back last night.

Police said in a statement on Friday the yacht was in difficulty off Palliser Bay last night. Maritime police, Coastguard and Navy resources were used to locate it and bring the person back to land.

A police spokesperson said the skipper had initially intended to sail it back to Wellington.

However, later that day, a mayday call was received.

The Defence Force helped in the search, with a spokesperson saying the person left on board had reported becoming lost.

This story was first published on rnz.co.nz

RNZ Connect Logo