You are not permitted to download, save or email this image. Visit image gallery to purchase the image.
Staff and patients had to be evacuated from Dunedin Hospital's Clinical Services building after smoke was detected earlier today.
A Fire and Emergency New Zealand spokesman said fire crews from across the city were called to the centrally located hospital about 10am where they encountered smoke inside the building.
"They've investigated and tracked it down to a faulty heating unit.
"It appears to have overheated and some plastic on that has melted, causing the smell and smoke inside the building."
He said staff and patients in the affected area were evacuated but by early afternoon all were back inside.
State Highway 1 north-bound (Cumberland St) was closed for a time but has reopened.