Fire at Columba College

Columba College pupils were practising netball in the school's sports centre when a fire broke out in the ceiling this afternoon.

Fire and Emergency New Zealand spokesman Brent Dunn said a crew from Roslyn had arrived at Columba College shortly after 4pm after a report of a light fitting was on fire in the second storey of the Marsh Sports Centre.

Five crews were in attendance fighting what had been described as a "small fire".

The fire was quickly extinguished by 4.30pm.

Fire appliances at Columba College this afternoon. Photo: Elena McPhee
Fire appliances at Columba College this afternoon. Photo: Elena McPhee

Columba College principal Pauline Duthie said an electrical fire started in the ceiling while girls from the school, who were now standing outside in the rain, were practising netball.

No-one was injured and she praised the quick actions of staff and pupils.

A reporter at the scene said firefighters, some wearing breathing apparatus, were inside the sports centre.

 

Add a Comment

 

drivesouth-pow-generic-1.png

Our journalists are your neighbours

We are the South's eyes and ears in crucial council meetings, at court hearings, on the sidelines of sporting events and on the frontline of breaking news.

As our region faces uncharted waters in the wake of a global pandemic, Otago Daily Times continues to bring you local stories that matter.

We employ local journalists and photographers to tell your stories, as other outlets cut local coverage in favour of stories told out of Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch.

You can help us continue to bring you local news you can trust by becoming a supporter.

Become a Supporter