You are not permitted to download, save or email this image. Visit image gallery to purchase the image.
A nine-page letter explaining the Dunedin City Council's actions on the stadium got a thorough page-by-page, line-by-line grilling from councillors yesterday, before its expected release after June 2.
The letter, which Mayor Peter Chin on Monday dubbed similar to The Forsyte Saga, is the council's reply to the 538 people who wrote submissions against the project last week, and the 10 in support.
Issues debated yesterday, as councillors sought to develop a version they could all agree on, included the success or otherwise of the Westpac Stadium in Wellington, whether the letter was too patronising for those with an interest in the issue, and whether there was an anchor tenant.
New information emerged the Otago Rugby Football Union had a 35-year venue-hire agreement with a licence to use the stadium.
Chief executive Jim Harland told the committee the agreement could not be reviewed during its life.
He said it would be made public.
Mr Chin said while some aspects of the letter may seem patronising, there would be a different level of understanding among people who made submissions.
"For some, it may seem patronising because it's stuff they've lived with the whole way through."
Mr Chin said the letter would be viewed by the council's solicitors, then go to a June 2 council meeting for final agreement.