Middle Beach avoids further erosion

Middle Beach in Dunedin escaped further erosion after large swells expected over the past few days did not occur, Dunedin City Council staff say.

The council late last week warned erosion was likely to strip more sand from the area between St Kilda and St Clair Beaches by Saturday, after large swells caused erosion - and the closure of a public stairway in the area - earlier last week.

Contractors using a excavator were called in to lower overhanging sections of the area's dunes, and the need for more repairs was to be assessed yesterday.

However, council community and recreation services manager Mick Reece said when contacted the large swells from bad weather "weren't as bad as expected", and no further erosion had occurred.

The public stairway remained closed yesterday, and it was not clear when it would reopen, he said.

 

Add a Comment

Our journalists are your neighbours

We are the South's eyes and ears in crucial council meetings, at court hearings, on the sidelines of sporting events and on the frontline of breaking news.

As our region faces uncharted waters in the wake of a global pandemic, Otago Daily Times continues to bring you local stories that matter.

We employ local journalists and photographers to tell your stories, as other outlets cut local coverage in favour of stories told out of Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch.

You can help us continue to bring you local news you can trust by becoming a supporter.

Become a Supporter