You are not permitted to download, save or email this image. Visit image gallery to purchase the image.
A father and son have appeared in court accused of importing cocaine and P into New Zealand.
Joseph Lance Evans, 50, and his 21-year-old son Seth Neita Evans briefly appeared in Tauranga District Court today to face joint charges of importing the Class A drugs, possession of cocaine and P for supply, and supplying both drugs.
Evans senior is also charged with possession of cocaine for supply and supplying cocaine.
Earlier, he was also charged with possession of P for supply, selling methamphetamine and offering to supply the drug.
Police say the new charges stem from the alleged seizure of two bags of white powder during a raid at a Mt Maunganui apartment block last month. Forensic analysis revealed they contained 130g of cocaine and 220g of methamphetamine.
Detective Sergeant Darryl Brazier said depending upon purity the potential street value for the cocaine is between $220,000 to $1m, and the methamphetamine approximately $220,000.
Evans senior, who is yet to plead to any of the charges, was further remanded in custody by Judge Peter Rollo. He is due back in court on March 11.
He is due to be committed to trial on the original set of charges on February 25 but his attendance at court is excused on that date.
Police opposed bail for Seth Evans when he also appeared before Judge Rollo this afternoon.
Police prosecutor David Pawson argued Evans junior should remain in custody because there was a risk he may interfere with the ongoing police inquiry.
Evans junior's lawyer Bill Nabney argued his client should be bailed on reasonable conditions because he has a serious heart condition and requires urgent surgery.
Judge Rollo told Evans junior that despite the police opposition he was satisfied he could grant him bail but warned him his bail would be revoked unless he strictly complied with all his bail terms.
Evans, who is yet to enter pleas has been bailed subject to a raft of conditions, and is due back in court again on March 8.
His bail conditions include a 24-hour home curfew unless in the company of his mother and surrendering any passports to the court.
He is also banned from having any contact with his father and possessing and using any cellphone and any internet connected device.
Mr Brazier early said more arrests were likely.
- Sandra Conchie of the Bay of Plenty Times