Lake Logan reclamation resumed

The Mayor of Dunedin, Mr John  Wilson, turns water into the new tunnel to feed the Waipori power...
The Mayor of Dunedin, Mr John Wilson, turns water into the new tunnel to feed the Waipori power station. - Otago Witness, 12.2.1913. Copies of picture available from ODT front office, Lower Stuart St, or

Work will be resumed at the Lake Logan reclamation area to-day, and the laying of the pipe line, which was interrupted by the recent controversy, will be carried across the Leith estuary on the pile staging erected for that purpose.

As soon as the pipes have been placed in position the sand pump on the Vulcan dredge will commence operations once more, and a start will be made to fill in the lake on the city side of the area to be reclaimed. It is estimated that it will take six years or more to reclaim Pelichet Bay and Lake Logan foreshore.

• From communications received in Naseby from Mr Robert Scott, M.P., and the minister in charge of the Tourist Department, it is now practically certain that the Government will subsidise, up to 100, all moneys raised locally in and around Naseby for the development of winter sports. Yesterday a party of gentlemen visited several likely spots, where a shallow dam of about four acres could be constructed at small cost, and it is now pretty certain that next winter will see skating and curling carried on on a large scale in Naseby. Facilities for ski-ing and tobogganning are also to be provided.

• The customary late passenger proved to be a woman as the Moeraki was casting off yesterday afternoon. She was sorely handicapped with a child in her arms, wedged in between sundry parcels, and in some miraculous feminine fashion she had one disengaged hand by which she hurried along another small child. Despite her heavy handicap, she made fast time down to the wharf, but all her haste would have been unavailing had it not been for a lucky incident.

Dredge 222 was expected to arrive at any time out of the thick fog, and the Moeraki was kept back in order to ascertain the whereabouts of the dredge. Willing hands soon bundled the late-comers on to the steamer, but it was fully half an hour later before she sailed, as the dredge had moored halfway up the channel and resumed dredging, but shortly after she was located the Moeraki set sail for Sydney.

• A dense fog enveloped the Heads on Tuesday night, and the fog signals were booming away to warn approaching mariners of their whereabouts. During the whole of yesterday the fog obscured the land and swept up the harbour at intervals, but it was not sufficiently heavy to inconvenience steamers between Dunedin and the Heads. In the vicinity of the Heads, however, the fog was so thick that two outward bound steamers, the Clan Grant and Star of England, had to remain at their moorings. They will be despatched at 5 a.m. to-day if the fog lifts.

The Moeraki sailed about 2.40 p.m., but Captain Collins deemed it prudent to anchor inside the Heads until about 7 p.m., when the fog lifted a little, and the vessel proceeded to Lyttelton. The Kowhai left at 5.30 p.m., and had to anchor in the Lower Harbour up till late last night, and the Westmeath, which arrived off the Heads last evening from Liverpool, via northern ports, was unable to enter the harbour, and remained at anchor until this morning, when she will berth at Port Chalmers to trim cargo before coming up to Dunedin to complete her discharge.

• On the voyage from Valparaiso to Sydney, the barque Grenada called at Pitcairn Island. According to Captain Jones, the islanders were the ''greatest beggars'' he ever saw.

''They wanted,''he said ''everything; in fact, they would have taken the ship if I had given it to them.''

- ODT, 20.2.1913.

Add a Comment