Faulty machine sparks small fire in Cromwell

Volunteer firefighters from Cromwell and Alexandra helped clear a smoke-logged commercial premises in Cromwell today.

Fire crews were called to the scene in Barry Ave after being alerted to a small fire at 8.27am today.

The smoke came from a faulty machine in part of the premises, and there was no structural damage, a Fire and Emergency New Zealand spokesman said.

Four fire crews went to the fire, three from Cromwell and one from Alexandra, and two appliances as well as support vehicles were used, he said.

Firefighters spent about an hour at the scene, near the intersection of Barry Ave and State Highway 8B, and a positive pressure ventilation fan was used to remove the smoke, after doors and windows were opened, he said.

Local journalism matters - now more than ever

As the Covid-19 pandemic brings the world into uncharted waters, Otago Daily Times reporters and photographers continue to bring you the stories that matter. For more than 158 years our journalists have provided readers with local news you can trust. This is more important now than ever.

As advertising drops off during the pandemic, support from our readers is crucial. You can help us continue to bring you news you can trust by becoming a supporter.

Become a Supporter