Oamaru retailers call SOS meeting over street plan

An emergency meeting, dubbed SOS - Save Our Street - has been called by a group of Oamaru retailers for Thursday to discuss the multimillion-dollar safety improvement project for central Oamaru.

North Otago Dispensary co-owner Mike Lucey said yesterday the main concern was the lack of central parking with sets of traffic lights being installed.

He felt there needed to be more consultation with business owners as the issue affected their livelihoods and those of their staff.

Representatives from Transit New Zealand and the Waitaki District Council had been invited to attend the meeting at the Oamaru Club hall at 5.45pm.

Tenders have been called for the project, estimated to cost about $3.1 million, and will close on August 19.

Mr Lucey acknowledged there was little time to do anything but said it was best to bring it to public attention.

If concerns were not voiced now, it would be too late.

Most people were happy about the relocation of the Boer War monument at the Thames-Severn-Coquet Sts intersection, which was a dangerous intersection.

It was further along Thames St, with five sets of traffic lights planned, which was the concern.

It was not exactly a traffic black spot and there had not been major accidents with the roundabouts, Mr Lucey said.

Transit would have an opportunity to have its say and then the meeting would be opened for discussion.

When contacted, Transit regional projects manager Simon Underwood said he was happy to attend the meeting.

Transit had been working through the design phase of the project for the past two years and there had been consultation.

People were notified of the project and where the plans could be viewed.

 

Add a Comment

 

Advertisement

postanote_header_620_x_80.png

postanote_620_x_25.jpg

 

drivesouth1.png

drivesouth2.png