Queenstown man believed kidnapped

Joseph Armstrong. Photos NZ Police
Joseph Armstrong. Photos NZ Police
A major police operation is continuing in Queenstown as concern grows for the safety of a 22-year-old local believed to have been kidnapped on Tuesday.

Queenstown police last night said they wished to speak to former Southland rugby player Pita Wilson (38), Joshua James Veint (23) and Mark Taylor (around 17) in connection with the alleged kidnapping.

Otago rural relieving area commander Inspector Olaf Jensen said police were also looking for Joseph Armstrong (22), of Queenstown, who was believed to be a victim, amid concern for his safety.

This afternoon police confirmed two other people, who had since been released, were involved in a kidnapping at a Queenstown address on Tuesday evening, with Mr Armstrong the outstanding victim.

Mr Armstrong and the three other men had not been seen since and police became aware of the incident on Wednesday night.

Pita Wilson
Pita Wilson
Insp Jensen said a number of people have been spoken to in connection with the incident.

The wanted men should not be approached and anyone who saw them was advised to call police immediately on 111.

Police were also interested in the following vehicles: A white Toyota Hilux ute registration number HCL548, with sign writing saying ''A1 Auto Electric'' and a white Suzuki saloon registration number SI8946.

A police investigation team continued to work on the case Queenstown supported by specialist staff, Insp Jensen said.

Southern District Command Centre deployment co-ordinator Acting Senior Sergeant Jared Kirk said they were taking the situation very seriously.

''The longer this goes on the more concerning it is for everyone involved.''

He could not comment on whether there was an indication Mr Armstrong had been the subject of violence. 

Joshua Veint
Joshua Veint
Mr Wilson, who made the Southland squad in 2003 after a stint with North Harbour, was shot five times on the Gold Coast in a suspected gang-related incident in June 2006.

Yesterday, the Otago Daily Times witnessed eight armed officers storm a small home on Frankton Rd at 7pm yesterday, using flash bangs. Other AOS members, all in full tactical gear and marked police patrol cars, raced towards Glenorchy.

They stopped about three-quarters of the way there and were still waiting by the side of the road when the ODT went to press late last night.

More than two dozen officers earlier held a 45-minute briefing at Frankton's St John depot.

Nine marked police vehicles were in the car park, including a command van and dog unit vans.

Two marked cars with AOS members inside left the briefing and drove directly to the Frankton Rd house.

They entered the building with firearms raised. They are understood not to have detained anyone there.

Three other vehicles, two patrol cars with AOS officers and a dog unit, headed for Glenorchy before stopping near the Aro Ha Wellness Retreat.

They were joined by three other units. Within 45 minutes the cars had spread out and were staggered along the winding road.

- Vaughan Elder and Paul Taylor

 


You'll need Skype CreditFree via Skype

 

Advertisement

OUTSTREAM