Fire service issues warning after 'careless' blaze in Waimate

The fire service is warning people to be careful when burning rubbish, after remnants of a fire set a fence in Waimate ablaze today.

Fire communications shift manager Andrew Norris said the fire service was called to a burning fence on Rhodes St about 5.20pm.

The small fire, which was extinguished by the fire service, appeared to be either the "careless disposal of hot ashes" or the "remnants of a rubbish fire".

"They need to make sure their fires are out properly."

Add a Comment