Liquor ban sought for races

The Clutha District Council has been asked to approve another temporary liquor ban in Lawrence during a car event next month, following the success of the ban last year.

Organisers of the quarter-mile sprint event and Lawrence police officer Robert Wallace asked for the ban last year, following drunken activity by some spectators at the 2009 event.

The ban had worked well and organisers hoped it would be repeated, Senior Constable Wallace says in a letter to tomorrow's regulatory services committee.

"Due to the drunk and disorderly people who attended this event in the past, that have created mayhem within Lawrence, we believe that a temporary liquor ban would assist police in enforcing both liquor control and [dealing with] incidents of disorderly behaviour."

The sprint will be held on April 2.

The ban would cover State Highway 8 between Kilmarnock St and Brown Rd, Ross Pl, Colonsay St, Harrington Pl, Bloy Rd, Thompson Rd, Irvine St, Wetherstons Rd and Waipori Rd from Irvine St to 1km west of Thompson Rd.

 

Add a Comment

drivesouth-pow-generic-1.png

Our journalists are your neighbours

We are the South's eyes and ears in crucial council meetings, at court hearings, on the sidelines of sporting events and on the frontline of breaking news.

As our region faces uncharted waters in the wake of a global pandemic, Otago Daily Times continues to bring you local stories that matter.

We employ local journalists and photographers to tell your stories, as other outlets cut local coverage in favour of stories told out of Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch.

You can help us continue to bring you local news you can trust by becoming a supporter.

Become a Supporter