Nearby helicopter not used in search

A Catlins crib owner believes "politics" may have hampered a helicopter search for a Heriot man who died while freediving near his Newhaven property last month.

Jake Bridson (23), of Heriot, died at popular Catlins snorkelling spot Owaka Heads about noon on December 27, after he became separated from a fellow diver.

An Otago Regional Rescue Helicopter arrived from Dunedin about 1pm, and located Mr Bridson’s body by about 1.40pm.

However, Newhaven crib owner David Pearson said this week a second, charter helicopter was also present from about noon, only 1km from the search area.

He said he believed only "politics" had prevented it from taking part in the operation, and beginning the aerial search much earlier.

Mr Pearson said his family had chartered Highland Helicopters, of Dunedin, to carry a sick relative to their Surat Bay Rd crib that day, and quickly became aware an incident was under way about 1km across the estuary, due to the activity of multiple search vessels.

The charter helicopter was flown by Highland Helicopters owner Paul Williams, accompanied by wife and trained observer Kirsty.

Mr Pearson said although the Williams had offered to begin the aerial search almost immediately, he understood they were unable to do so as the helicopter had not been "tasked" for the rescue mission by police.

"I have a problem with the fact there was a helicopter [near the incident site], and it was not utilised in the search. The machine and observer were ready and available at least an hour before the rescue helicopter arrived."

He said although he did not believe its use would have changed the outcome, it could have saved those waiting "a lot of grief".

"The people of Newhaven were extremely upset to watch the drama unfold, as were the pilot and crew from Highland Helicopters.

"When it comes to saving a life or easing the burden of grief for a family, surely politics or contracts should not enter the equation?"

Highland Helicopters declined to comment in detail on the situation, but confirmed Mr Pearson’s statements regarding times, personnel and availability.

Otago Coastal SAR co-ordinator Sergeant Nathan White said search and rescue operations favoured partner agencies, such as the Otago Regional Rescue Helicopter, with whom police trained regularly.

"During the formal planning phase of an operation, we will always look to see what search assets we have available and what we might require.

"We were not immediately aware of the presence of the charter helicopter during this incident."

Otago Regional Rescue Helicopter chief pilot Graeme Gale, who monitored the incident from Dunedin, said yesterday it was unrealistic to expect an unequipped charter helicopter to conduct a formal search and rescue operation.

"The helicopter we sent had water rescue personnel, winch operators and intensive care paramedics on board, and infra-red detection equipment available.

"To imagine a local helicopter without the proper resources could just jump in is unrealistic at best."

Mr Gale said he and his team would conduct the operation "exactly the same way" if it occurred today.

"Our team was airborne within three or four minutes, and on-site 20 minutes after the initial alert.

"The operation was conducted as rapidly as possible, given the information available.

"Unfortunately the outcome is very, very sad for the family."


My late father Bill Black was a search and rescue pilot back in the early days. He very rarely had medics on board yet managed to save many peoples’ lives.
Much like the hero pilots of the White Island tragedy, he would go help regardless. The fact that a machine was already located in the very area yet unable to search reeks of patch protection and bureaucracy. If my loved one was missing, I would want every man and every resource available to locate the victim. How distressing for this family. Maybe outcome this time sadly would not have made any difference but what about in the future.... every minute counts in a rescue operation.

I'm sure if a Gale helicopter went down and another operator happened to be in the immediate area, they would drop the clicky protectionism fairly quickly.






Our journalists are your neighbours

We are the South's eyes and ears in crucial council meetings, at court hearings, on the sidelines of sporting events and on the frontline of breaking news.

As our region faces uncharted waters in the wake of a global pandemic, Otago Daily Times continues to bring you local stories that matter.

We employ local journalists and photographers to tell your stories, as other outlets cut local coverage in favour of stories told out of Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch.

You can help us continue to bring you local news you can trust by becoming a supporter.

Become a Supporter