Oyster and Food Festival loss big blow to tourism

Chowing down on the local delicacy are (from left) Tere Ngu, Festival chairman John Edminstin and...
Chowing down on the local delicacy are (from left) Tere Ngu, Festival chairman John Edminstin and Bluff Town crier Ian ‘‘Harry’’ Holland during the opening ceremony of the 2021 Bluff Oyster & Food Festival. This year's festival has been cancelled due to the threat of Covid-19 and possible changes to the traffic light settings. PHOTO: ANDREW BAIRD
Southland's event industry has been hit hard again by Covid-19 as another premium events gets cancelled.

Following the cancellation of this year’s Burt Munro Challenge and Southern Field Days, the trust running the popular Bluff Oyster and Food Festival announced yesterday it had made the "hard decision" to cancel the event, scheduled for May 21 this year.

The festival has attracted thousands of people from across the country and sold out quickly every year.

Festival chairman John Edminstin said discussions had been ongoing for a long time, but on Wednesday members of the trust unanimously voted to cancel the event due to threat of a Covid-19 outbreak and changed traffic light settings.

He believed it would be “irresponsible” to host the event.

“We had hoped to be further along with our site developments and if the Club Hotel could have been demolished, we would have more space to allow better social distancing.

“Increased compliance costs in a time when events may need to be cancelled after those costs were outlaid in advance were also a factor in the decision."

Great South tourism and events general manager Bobbi Brown said the cancellation was totally understandable but would have a significant impact on the Southland economy.

She said on its own the cancellation was sad, but alongside the other cancellations it added another layer of pressure to the region’s event industry.

"It is just another disappointment for the region — especially for the volunteers running the event".

Bluff community board chairman Raymond Fife said it was a big loss for the community as the event had drawn people from around the country to the coastal town.

"It is a shame because it does provide a lot of opportunities not only for Bluff, but for the whole region."

It was not the first time the event had been cancelled due to the Covid-19, the festival was cancelled in 2020, but came back stronger than ever in 2021, he said.

"We now can only hope for the situation be under control next year and we can enjoy this popular event."

The festival committee had been due to make an announcement regarding ticket sales for this year’s event next month so no tickets had been sold for the event.

luisa.girao@odt.co.nz

Add a Comment

 

Advertisement

Our journalists are your neighbours

We are the South's eyes and ears in crucial council meetings, at court hearings, on the sidelines of sporting events and on the frontline of breaking news.

As our region faces uncharted waters in the wake of a global pandemic, Otago Daily Times continues to bring you local stories that matter.

We employ local journalists and photographers to tell your stories, as other outlets cut local coverage in favour of stories told out of Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch.

You can help us continue to bring you local news you can trust by becoming a supporter.

Become a Supporter